The 2020 apple U-pick is now open 9-6 (Michigan time) every day of the week, rain or shine, through late October. Call 269-422-1972 for more information and to find out what varieties are available before you head out. Look below for the varieties that will be available for U-pick this season (in order of ripening):
Be sure to look for signs for the new entrance at 9800 Hartline Rd., just south of Shawnee Rd.
- Mollies Delicious – Ripens with Golden Supreme, an early Red Delicious. Flesh turns soft quickly. Flavor is “bubble gum” sweet. Eat it fresh and in salads.
- Golden Supreme – Ripens about Labor Day. An excellent crisp sweet apple. Great out of hand and in salads, slices keep their shape when cooked.
- RubyMac – Ripens in early September. Belongs to the McIntosh family. RubyMac have a tart-sweet flavor and beautiful ruby color. They are firm and crisp. Great for pies.
- Gala – Ripens about September 10th, crisp and sweet, a wonderful flavorful red, pinkish apple. Great for desserts and fresh eating. Slices keep their shape when cooked.
- Honeycrisp – Ripens with Gala, a very popular flavorful apple with a texture to match its name. Used primarily for fresh eating and salads, Honeycrisp is also wonderful for baking. Keeps well in storage. U-Pick Not Available.
- McIntosh – Ripens about September 15th, Sweet-Tart flavor. Of medium flesh, keeps well in storage. Great for pies, canning, sauces, and taffy apples. Flesh becomes soft when over-ripe.
- Bella – Medium sized sweet apple with subtle fruity undertones. Flesh is medium. Eat fresh out of hand or in your favorite salads. Great in applesauce and pies.
- Fuji – Ripens about September 20th. A sweet crispy favorite for eating fresh out of hand and salads.
- Jonathan – An old standard processing, baking, and saucing variety. Is a small tart apple loved for its sparkling flavor, solid flesh and versatility. Keep well in storage.
- Golden Delicious – Golden Delicious is the heavy hitter in the apple world. Its versatility is unmatched. Eat it fresh, slice into salads, bake it into pies, fry it, sauce it, freeze it, can it. Golden Delicious does it all! Known to keep up to 6 months in storage.
- Red Delicious – Ripens the end of September, a large sweet apple. Great for fresh eating and in desserts. Stores well, but can become mealy if left too long.
- Jonagold – A cross between Jonathan and Golden Delicious with the best qualities of both, as versatile as its predecessors. Flavor has more spark than Golden Delicious, but not as tart as Jonathan. Try these and you will have found a new favorite. Large attractive apple with solid flesh.
- Empire – A solid fleshed round, sweet, red apple that when left on the tree, will become dark purplish red. Turns soft when overripe. Best for salads and eating out of hand.
- Sonata – A medium sized apple with very solid flesh, intense sweet, tart flavor. Yellow background color with large red blush.
- Snow Sweet – Ripens about September 30th a solid very white, sweet flesh. Flesh stays white for a long period after cutting. Great for salads and eating out of hand.
- Shizuka – Perfect for apple salad. Fruit is juicy, large and firm with low acidity–and it’s slow to brown when cut. Stores well into early spring after fall harvest. This Golden Delicious cross ripens in mid-October.
- Cameo – Very robust flavor with mix of sweet and tart. Flesh is very dense. Great in sauces and pies.
- Ida Red – Ripens about October 1st, a solid fleshed, thin skinned, large glossy apple. Flavor is tart and is great for pies and applesauce. A super keeper!
- Mutsu – Ripens about October 1st, Mutsu is gaining in popularity. A very large green/yellow Golden Delicious- type apple. Very versatile. We call it the four apple pie apple.
- EverCrisp – EverCrisp® is sweet and juicy – a yummy apple that holds a powerful crunch – combining the best features of its parent varieties, Honeycrisp and Fuji. The EverCrisp® name says it all. The durable apple arrives late in the season and stores strongly – it maintains sweetness and firmness like no other. That makes EverCrisp® the perfect treat for a holiday celebration, and the ideal snack for a healthy New Year.
- Rome – Ripens about October 1st, a red, solid fleshed apple. Rome’s have a unique flavor, not tart, but not too sweet. Great for pies, sauces, canning and freezing.